Monday 29 July 2013

Creating a Logo- The First Stage

I have decided that this blog could do with a logo. Something simple, nothing too fancy but something that reflects the purpose behind this blog and is fairly easy to recognise and 'get'.
Sometimes when people think of a logo or a name they try to be too clever and think of words and images that are in no way related to their product/business/blog etc. It's fine naming your business after your family name especially if it is something highly professional like an accountancy firm or if it is a restaurant.

A LOT of people think that 'Fusion' is a great name. It would be if no one else had it. They think it is creative, diverse, clever blah, blah blah but more often than not they don't even fuse anything together and so it makes no sense.

These pitfalls are the things I have tried to avoid with my logo. The first thing I did was sit down with a piece of paper (A3) and did a mind-map of the things my blog is about. My mind-map is actually combined for 2 ideas; this blog and the comic book one that is a branch off of this one.

I underlined words that I liked as a final idea and did a few rough sketch drawings eventually circling the idea I liked best. Take a look at the photo below of my mind-map.

As you can see it didn't take long for me to find an idea I liked. Now it needs refining and making properly.

The main ideas that led me to this design were painting- which led me to draw a picture of a painting palette- simply using the first letters of the words of my blog title. Had I chosen the URL letters I would've ended up with BABA but instead I have CPDB and with a little creativity have ended up with what I hope will be a nice little picture to represent my blog.

Now let's take a look at my thoughts for my logo for my comic book blog...

It's exactly the same process done on the same piece of paper. There are more words expanding out of the picture but those aren't important. The important bit is the series of images which led me to my final idea. 

Initially I going to go down the same route a CPDB, using initials and use CCBC but that is too simialar to CBBC, the children's TV channel, and CCTV. I was also thinking of maybe trying some clever way of arranging the letters to form an image of a superhero with the 'C's forming arms. But then I thought that since it is called 'Chris' Comic Book Creations' I should have a cool comic book picture, hence the picture of the open comic book with a small scene inside. But that is way too much for a simple logo. 

So I thought about a superhero face on the front of the book which led to me just having the letters CCBC on the front page in a comic book-style POW! thing. 

This combined with the first picture made think of doing a comic book cover with the letters CCBC as the title of the comic book and a simple image of a superhero and a villain about to clash above a city skyscraper scene.

For both of these logos these are just the beginning stages of logo development and there will probably be 3-4 secondary attempts before deciding on the final one to make properly.

Update- Both logos have been completed you can see the one for this blog on any page near the top left and you can see my comic book one here.



No comments:

Post a Comment